[FoRK] XP Updates needed for a fresh install: Over 146 updates, over 410MB

Steve Nordquist <saigua at sbcglobal.net> on Mon Aug 20 20:42:51 PDT 2007

Moreover the fixed and variable electricity costs to run a 500MHz system are each above those of running a power-on-demand system based on the core-duo, Opteron, Athlon64, (see http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=3057 ) or the similarly priced VIA Eden (1GHz-2.5GHz.)  Refusing to either optimize your system to run either curses at 180x92 characters or so, or accelerated X11 with the appropriate tunings just goes to suggest a wacky outsourced diet and hygiene.  (Now if you'll excuse me I have to dedupe my omega-3 drawer....)

(Antialiasing for the flatpanel screen, accelerated 2D at least...a Matrox G440 card works so-so in 2D, no excuse for not having RAID-1 SATA drives and 2-8 GiB DDR2.)

How do I manage video GPU dissipation?  The -get a card designed to run with no fan- and -add a fan- bit is obvious enough, but inflexible.