[FoRK] XP Updates needed for a fresh install: Over 146 updates, over 410MB

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Tue Aug 21 10:52:03 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 11:11:27AM -0400, HK Pang wrote:

> My Dell Optiplex GX1 SFF P3-450 consumes only 25W of electricity (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_power_dissipation) This little piece
> of hardware has been performing admirably since 1999, with all

In general, it's a good idea to keep systems running as long as
possible. My second computer (A2000) lasted me more than a decade.
My third system survived three CPU upgrades, and the tower case
(mithril, hand-forged by dwarves) still contains the house server.

However, the buck stops when humans have to wait for machines.
According to http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/487.html
25 W is the footprint of mostly idling new Mac mini Core 2 Duo.

> original components (onboard network, video, sound). It runs almost
> silent and can fit almost anywhere. It must have browsed millions of
> web pages and processed billions of packets. It killed half of dozens
> of mices and keyboards and outlasted 3-4 monitors. It has lived its
> life as NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP. At the rate it is going, it
> is probably going to outlast my 1994 Acura integra, which is on its
> 3rd set of tires and still deliver 30+ miles per gallon while emitting
> less pollution than 90% of the vehicles on the road.

Apparently, only some 10% of the entire car life cycle goes into
decomissioning and manufacturing, for U.S. cars.

> You can get one for about $130
> (http://www.pcliquidations.com/item.asp?id=1450) . But I won't sell
> mine to you, it's a family heirloom that has served 3 generations.

An EDEN (fanless) version of a VIA C7 system will set you back
probably that much. Performance would be underwhelming, though.