[FoRK] Subjective value

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Tue Aug 28 23:40:59 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 04:49:46PM -0700, Aaron Burt wrote:

> > With enough cheap kWh, potable water and oil are not strictly necessary.
>
> You're assuming everyone uploads, right?  Otherwise, that makes no sense.

Not at all. Electricity is a high-quality energy, and once it's cheap enough
you can generate virtually anything else on-site with very little additional
hardware (in fact, even some fabbing on-site). For instance, a heat pump
gives you both heating and cooling, and potable water (from condensation).

> Actually, that makes no sense anyway.  Carry on.

Imagine a world where energy is an order of magnitude cheaper than today,
and still falling fast. How about three orders of magnitude cheaper than
today, and really unlimited enough to directly heat the planet?