[FoRK] Gibson's Spook Country

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Aug 30 12:00:17 PDT 2007

Fantastic.  His second-best book, only topped by Count Zero.  In
fact, if I have any criticism of Spook Country at all it's that it
has (too?) many structural and character similarities to Count Zero.
I didn't like Idoru and really didn't like Virtual Light, and could
barely force myself to finish Pattern Recognition (though that may
well deserve a second shot...)  But I couldn't put Spook Country
down, and I expect it to stay with me for a while...

His thesis is that science fiction is extraneous at this point
because the present is weird enough is...  thought-provoking.  In the
sense that this provides a sort of proof, this may well be his most
important book since Neuromancer - and possibly ever.

Highly recommended...

$0.02, YMMV.

jb