Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books was Re: [FoRK] Gibson's Spook Country

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Thu Aug 30 12:55:24 PDT 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 2:36 PM, Ken Meltsner wrote:

> I've been using a Sony Reader for the last two weeks -- it's really
> great:  smaller than a hardcover, readable at several font sizes,
> keeps track of where I stopped reading, stores many books, etc.

I bought one of these a couple of months back, played with it for a
week, haven't touched it since.  They got the form factor right, and
for a tinkerer this might be a fun toy;  or if you *really* need an e-
book reader, this might be it.

I really want somebody to nail this problem space, but it ain't going
to be Sony.  Somebody needs to come along and pull a Jeff Hawkins on
this;  a little product management would define an industry and leave
all the previous, failed big-money experiments in the dust.

And personally I think that the emphasis on e-ink display tech is
misplaced;  they need to nail the UI, make the thing super-PDF
friendly, forget DRM and fat client (esp. Windows) software, make it
wireless and build out the server-based backend / library management
apps first.  7200 page turns on one charge?  That's great, but I'm
never going to read that many books between access to charging
stations anyway, and I read *fast.*  Give me current display tech and
a 5-hour battery but nail the above, and I'll be your friend for
life.  Big bonus for building in a decent browser.

That said --- out of sheer laziness and ennui I haven't gotten around
to posting to Craigslist about it yet;  anybody here want it?  Make
me a reasonable offer in line w/ Ebay minus whatever FoRK discount
you think appropriate and its yours.

$0.02,

jb