Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books was Re: [FoRK] Gibson's Spook Country

Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> on Thu Aug 30 13:17:09 PDT 2007

The Reader is quite limited, although the community is starting to
create good tools, such as a PDF to Reader converter that's
substantially better than Sony's.  The battery life is great because
you can bring it on a trip and not have to worry about recharging it
on the road.  At $60, it's a steal (esp. with the $50 book credit) --
I figured I could always give it to my older son so he could skip
buying classic novels for his literature classes.

If money were no object, I'd look at:

http://www.irextechnologies.com/products/iliad

The iLiad is (somewhat) open source, has a bigger/better display,
includes wifi, etc.  Much, much closer to my dream ebook reader.  It's
really a PDA/Web pad with an eink display -- the display is fast
enough that you can use it to take notes, fill in crosswords, etc.  In
contrast, the Sony Reader does just one thing, although it does it
pretty well.

It's also $700.   If it had been $400, I might have bought it instead
of the Reader, even with the Reader at the discounted price.