[FoRK] PDAs (was: Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books)

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Thu Aug 30 18:18:40 PDT 2007

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com>:
>PDAs were pointless devices until they could make phone calls.

Hardly. I had a PDA long before I had a cell phone. I still take
my old Palm V on trips, because I haven't yet found a cell phone
that I like that syncs up with my contact database. The problem
is that a) most reasonable cell phones can't maintain multiple
addresses and notes on a contact, and b) the "smart" phones are
just as unweildy as the Palm. Finding a convergent device I like
is sneaking up my list of priorities. But there was and still is
real value there, that I want to carry forward. That database is
decades old.