Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books was Re: [FoRK] Gibson's Spook Country

Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> on Fri Aug 31 09:26:39 PDT 2007

On 8/30/07, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:

> One of the cooler bits of the OLPC (aka MIT $100 laptop) is the
> black-and-white low power book reader mode. The plan is (in part) to
> convince countries to fund the laptop by completely gutting their
> schoolbook budgets.

I got a chance to muck around with these at OSCON last month. Wowsers and i
do mean wow. First off the meshability was on display and it work even in
the wake of the massive saturation of the spectrum that happens at large
gatherings of device laden geekaziods. The apps were great though you have
to remember this is not an Open Office replacement device or some such. The
screen was well readable and I could totaly see using it as a book reader.

Right now I use my Palm Lifedrive for reading the ebooks. Aside from the
normal eye strain of having lived most of my 43 years either reading print
or a screen I have no issue at all, in fact its my fave method of reading. I
still reading magazines on the dead tree tip as they often are not scanned
fast enough down to a palm format fast enough for me, though MAKE might get
there eventually, and I still enjoy reading DTBooks in the comfy
chair...currently Spook Country holds the spot there.

Of course there is always the issue of comics/grfx novels to deal with.
Mostly my collection has made it way on to the laptop where I am using COMIX
( http://comix.sourceforge.net/ ) to read he goodies. My laptop also fits
nice in the comfy chair.

Also lets not forget Alton Browns golden rule abotu a devices worth...if it
just does one thing...out it goes (rare exceptions apply). Multitaskers
multitaskers multitaskers....a go bag can only hold so much rechargeables
before it go kerplooie. A device that just reads books...I am thinking no.

-tomhiggins