Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books was Re: [FoRK] Gibson's Spook Country

Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu> on Fri Aug 31 10:29:21 PDT 2007

Forgot a link for the open source-ish "Not Another E Book"
project/company, which is trying to produce a DRM-free ebook reader:

http://naebllc.com/

NAEB will be sourcing the Booken Cybook, which is expected in
September for 350 euros -- no idea what this will translate into in
dollars (minus GST, + tariffs and other costs).

Biggest issue right now is that the displays are single-sourced (and
heavily patent-protected, I suspect); one post to MobileRead mentioned
that the resulting unit would cost at least $250 in parts, resulting
in a much higher unit price.    This probably explains why the iLiad
lists for $700.

While there might be economies of scale, I suspect the Sony Reader is
a zero-profit (or even a loss-leader) item at list price, and that
they're expecting to make the real money on the ebooks. Classic
razor/razor blades strategy.

Ken