[FoRK] PDAs (was: Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books)

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Fri Aug 31 10:45:39 PDT 2007

All of this (below) is well and good.. but for the punters, value
propositions must be broken into practicalities.  Practical
technologies merge complementary actions, tasks, and values.  What
most of us who spend our lives within the insular and self-serving
confines of Silicon Valley (physically or metaphysically) usually
fail to realize is that there are still regular people out there who
do NOT enjoy the thought of having an array of components attached to
their personage like Batman's utility belt.  It's one of the key
reasons why the MODO.NET device, a purpose-built "lifestyle event"
pager-based notification device, failed miserably.  I keep one handy
as a reminder to visionaries what the value of an island is.

TREOs and even more certainly all of the early-generation of Palm
devices are examples of technology that has failed to exit the
confines of technology industry culture.  PALM's value (as a company)
in particular has always been largely theoretical as it it absorbed
and expunged in various forms by various big companies like USR,
3COM, etc etc.  They have been successful, for sure, but only because
of high penetration along the long tail of digital cognoscenti.  Not
in the mass market.

My mother has no idea what a "lifedrive" is or how that benefits her,
and doubtfully ever will.  If members of this and other groups
continue in general to use themselves as benchmarks for what the
market really wants, then they can only  really hope to be massively
successful in marketing products and services to people like themselves.

Think Wal-Mart.  Think 97%.

-Ian.