Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books was Re: [FoRK] Gibson's Spook Country

Matt Jensen <mattj at newsblip.com> on Fri Aug 31 11:50:31 PDT 2007

Quoting Ken Meltsner <meltsner at alum.mit.edu>:

> It's pretty clear that no one put this device through serious
> usability and design trials.  ...
> My issues with the current device include:   ...

Well, my usability issue is within a page. It supports links within
PDFs, but instead of clicking on the link (if it were touchscreen),
I've got to manually press "down" (or was it "right") and step through
all links in the page before the link I want.  And because of the eInk
technology, each of those link jumps takes roughly a second (!) for
the screen to refresh.

I tried doing this with pages of mine with 100 links, and it really
stunk.  I suppose I really need a device with a touch screen.  (p.s. -
how does the Iliad do handwriting if the display is so slow?)

Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle