[FoRK] PDAs (was: Sony Reader for sale, and thoughts on e-books)

Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> on Fri Aug 31 11:54:25 PDT 2007

On 8/31/07, Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> wrote:

> On 31-Aug-07, at 11:34 AM, Aaron Burt wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 10:45:39AM -0700, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> >> TREOs and even more certainly all of the early-generation of Palm
> >> devices are examples of technology that has failed to exit the
> >> confines of technology industry culture. <snip>
> >>
> >> My mother has no idea what a "lifedrive" is or how that benefits her,
> >> and doubtfully ever will.  If members of this and other groups
> >> continue in general to use themselves as benchmarks for what the
> >> market really wants, then they can only  really hope to be massively
> >> successful in marketing products and services to people like
> >> themselves.
> >>
> >> Think Wal-Mart.  Think 97%.
> >
> > Please forgive my cluelessness here, but *why*?  Would you try to sell
> > sledgehammers to soccer-moms?  Even with careful UI engineering and
> > collaborative stakeholder-focused task-oriented blahblah design?
>
> Because once we do, technology businesses won't generally grow within
> bubbles and endure massive slumps.  They'll be endurables.

Ah, yes. Glad I haven't invested in the bubble-prone sledgehammer business.

Niches can be perfectly enduring. You're confusing 'addresses a niche'
(which can be enduring and quite profitable) with 'doesn't really
address anything' (which I agree usually fails, and which I agree
silivalley is prone to at times.)

Luis