[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> on Sun Sep 2 09:05:25 PDT 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 8:17 AM, Corinna Schultz wrote:
> Sop how do you get rid of a gun in Texas? Can you just put a
> classified ad? Go to a pawn shop? Give it to the police?

Yes.  Most states that allow unregulated private transfers (and I am
pretty sure Texas is one of those) have thriving secondary markets
for firearms that makes them surprisingly liquid assets, and they
tend not to lose value either unless damaged.  States that regulate
private transfers, on the other hand, have limited markets and the
middle men take a huge cut of the value.

What you actually do with it is a matter of convenience for you.

> Is it even ethical to try to sell a gun when there's a reasonable
> possibility that it will be used for nefarious purposes?

The vast, vast majority of guns are not used for nefarious purposes,
so there is no reason to believe that any gun you sell will be.  You
could extend your reasoning to quite a number of other common
household items as well.  However, I would not presuppose that it is
not stolen property in the first place given the source.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers