[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

J. Andrew Rogers <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> on Sun Sep 2 09:29:47 PDT 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:
> If it's a drug dealer's gun it's probably not legally registered.

"legally registered"?  Wrong country, I think.  A few states do
require it, but most don't.  That horse left the barn a very, very
long time ago; no one has any idea how many firearms are in the US or
where they are, only that there are hundreds of millions of them, and
with no prayer of ever locating but a fraction of them.  Many
millions of completely paperless legal private transfers happen every
year; the exact number is not known for obvious reasons, but there
are a lot of them.

>   I hear you can get a pair of nikes in Florida for turning one in
> to the cops.

Cops will generally take firearms off people's hands if they have one
and don't know what to do with it.  Of course, the vast majority of
those will get resold on the market, so it does not accomplish too
much in terms of not selling it.

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers