[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun Sep 2 09:34:43 PDT 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 10:17 AM, Corinna Schultz wrote:

> I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but since I've never owned
> a gun I have no idea how to think about this. Here's the situation:
> Among other problems we had with these people, one of our tenants just
> happened to be a drug dealer. (Plus they damaged the new laminate
> floor! grr!). Our on-site manager said that the police were watching
> them, and told them they had to leave. Engaging in illegal activity
> would have been a violation of our lease anyway, so this saves us from
> having to evict.
>
> Texas law says that if a property has been abandoned then the landlord
> can take the tenants' posessions. I don't know for sure if they have a
> gun, or what kind. But I kind of want to be prepared should I need to
> dispose of it in some way.
>
> Sop how do you get rid of a gun in Texas? Can you just put a
> classified ad? Go to a pawn shop? Give it to the police?

I'd just keep it;  you never know.  But --- if you're going to keep
it, learn to use it.

If not, I'd probably go the safe route and ask the cops about it
before doing anything else.  You have a legitimate claim to it given
abandonment, that the tenant damaged your property, etc.  They'll
impound it while checking its status, etc.  Assuming the cops don't
keep it forever --- they had a hammer of mine for nearly 15 years,
long story --- and you still want to sell it when you get it back,
take it to a gun shop.  Most will sell on consignment for you.

Out of curiosity:  what kind of gun is it?

$0.02,

jb