[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sun Sep 2 09:41:31 PDT 2007

On Sep 2, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> I've filed this under "ethical questions which could only have been  
> asked in America."

You mean there aren't guns in Canada?  I seem to recall otherwise...

> If it's a drug dealer's gun it's probably not legally registered.

Thankfully we don't have a national gun registry...  like the  
Canadians do.  So this little bit of Orwellian red tape doesn't apply  
to Corinne's situation.  When you buy a gun from a federally-licensed  
dealer they have to fill out a form 4473, but this is to track  
regulated dealer activity and doesn't apply to private transfers.

Note also that an unlicensed / non-dealer may only sell a gun to  
another private individual in the same state, subject to the laws of  
that state.  Interstate transfer of ownership must be accomplished by  
transferring the gun to a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state.


More information about the FoRK mailing list