[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Sun Sep 2 11:08:49 PDT 2007

Many pawn shops handle guns.  The process for buying is exactly the
same as any other gun purchase (background check, etc.).  They don't
always like to buy guns, however, since it's not really their
business.  Many gun shops also do consignments, and will often give
advice on pricing.  Seller beware- nothing prevents them from low
balling you on value, and screwing you.  Background checks are all
standard in those scenarios.

It is legal to sell person to person, but I wouldn't bother.  Ignoring
any moral issues, I don't think you'll get at much.  If you send
pictures I can probably figure out what you've got, identify, and give
you a gut appraisal.

Two notes:
-if you think the gun may have been involved, talk to the police.
-unless you are CERTAIN the gun is unloaded, handle with EXTREME
care.  Many people have poor mental models of how guns work, and
that's how accidents happen.  If you think it may be loaded, here's my
suggestion.  Call a gun shop and explain your situation.  If they
aren't friendly, or interested in helping you, call somewhere else.
Most gun shops are very friendly and helpful, and would be more than
willing than to help.  You could do them same thing with the police,
but I wouldn't recommend it.  Most police officers are ignorant of
guns, and loaded guns are bad things to educate yourself on.

-Kevin

Sent from my iPhone