[FoRK] Re: how do you sell a used gun?

Marty Halvorson <marty at halvorson.us> on Sun Sep 2 13:45:33 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 10:17:36AM -0500, Corinna Schultz wrote:
> I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but since I've never owned
> a gun I have no idea how to think about this. Here's the situation:
> Among other problems we had with these people, one of our tenants just
> happened to be a drug dealer. (Plus they damaged the new laminate
> floor! grr!).

If those folks were making 'meth', you have more of a problem than
damaged laminates.  Meth leaves a toxic, especially to children, residue
all around the area, which could include more than just the room used to
make the stuff.  I learned this while taking a class from a DEA agent at
a drug court conference.  One suggestion offered was to spray the walls
with spray starch.  If it turns purple you have that problem.

> Sop how do you get rid of a gun in Texas? Can you just put a
> classified ad? Go to a pawn shop? Give it to the police?
>
> Is it even ethical to try to sell a gun when there's a reasonable
> possibility that it will be used for nefarious purposes?

If you sell it to me, there'd be no reasonable possibility of nefarious
purpose.  Just send it off to my friendly local gun dealer, and tell him
it's for me.

If you don't want me to have it, then all the other advice is well
founded.  Especially the part about making sure it's not loaded.

--
Peace,

Marty Halvorson
marty at halvorson.us