[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org> on Sun Sep 2 16:57:45 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 02, 2007 at 10:17:36AM -0500, Corinna Schultz wrote:
> Sop how do you get rid of a gun in Texas? Can you just put a
> classified ad? Go to a pawn shop? Give it to the police?

There's a chance that it's stolen.  You should figure out how to check
that, first.  If you try to sell it at an honest pawnshop or gun dealer,
you could be in a world of hurt.  (Gun shows can be pretty anonymous...)

A gun store might be able to tell you who to talk to.  In general, I've
had good luck talking with property-room clerks at police departments
when I've had to deal with things like that.  You might need to turn it
over to them to have it checked, then receive it back if it's clean.

Heck, it's just a used gun.  Decent ones go for $300-500, and if it's
some skank-ass Jennings or something, it goes for much less than that.
So don't sweat it; it's only worth a small fraction of the unpaid rent.

(OTOH, it ain't that bad an idear to have one...)

> Is it even ethical to try to sell a gun when there's a reasonable
> possibility that it will be used for nefarious purposes?

That's for you to work out, but do note that nobody worries about that
when selling other things, even though cars kill ~1.5x as many Americans
as guns do, and swimming pools are far deadlier to children.