[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

Reza B'Far <reza at voicegenesis.com> on Sun Sep 2 20:21:32 PDT 2007

I'm surprised no one has suggested giving the gun to the police... since if
it really does belong to a known drug-dealer... he may have used it... and
it may be packed away somewhere to crack a cold-case later on...

If they don't take it, why don't you just throw it away in a deep body of
water?  Eventually, Guns are used to kill, right?

-----Original Message-----
From: fork-bounces at xent.com [mailto:fork-bounces at xent.com]On Behalf Of
Corinna Schultz
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2007 8:18 AM
To: Friends of Rohit Khare
Subject: [FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

I'm sure the laws vary from state to state, but since I've never owned
a gun I have no idea how to think about this. Here's the situation:
Among other problems we had with these people, one of our tenants just
happened to be a drug dealer. (Plus they damaged the new laminate
floor! grr!). Our on-site manager said that the police were watching
them, and told them they had to leave. Engaging in illegal activity
would have been a violation of our lease anyway, so this saves us from
having to evict.

Texas law says that if a property has been abandoned then the landlord
can take the tenants' posessions. I don't know for sure if they have a
gun, or what kind. But I kind of want to be prepared should I need to
dispose of it in some way.

Sop how do you get rid of a gun in Texas? Can you just put a
classified ad? Go to a pawn shop? Give it to the police?

Is it even ethical to try to sell a gun when there's a reasonable
possibility that it will be used for nefarious purposes?

-Corinna