[FoRK] Wes Anderson's _Darjeeling Limited_

Rohit Khare <rohit at xent.com> on Mon Sep 3 21:43:48 PDT 2007

Found on MyWire -- how can a 4-year old startup headed by Louis
Borders (of Books & Webvan fame) fly entirely under (my|our)
radar? ;) -- RK

http://www.mywire.com/pubs/AFP/2007/09/03/4388855?pbl=289

Quirky Wes Anderson unveils Indian adventure at Venice
Sep 3, 2007 | 706 words, 5 images

VENICE, Italy (AFP) — Quirky US director Wes Anderson drew heavily on
his own family experiences for his brotherly bonding odyssey "The
Darjeeling Limited" that premiered Monday at the Venice film festival.

In the film, a trio of brothers embark on a train journey across
India in search of each other, their mother and themselves in
Anderson's whimsical adventure flick that includes a cameo by Bill
Murray as a businessman who may or may not be their mystery father.

"I've always wanted to make a film about three brothers," said
Anderson, who has two brothers of his own. "It seems like we spent
our whole lives fighting all the time, and yet they're the closest
people in the world to me."

While the film has an improvisational feel, Jason Schwartzman, who
played one of the brothers and co-wrote the screenplay, said it was
"scripted to the word."
Click image to magnify

Anderson said he drew inspiration from the Indian backdrop which he
described as being "filled with colour like no other."

Building the settings was in itself a journey of discovery: "We
wanted to try to discover things more than invent them," Anderson
said. "We didn't build any sets except for the train, which is
modelled on trains you find all over India."