[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Tue Sep 4 05:31:29 PDT 2007

Aaron Burt <aaron at bavariati.org>:
>Most auto deaths are accidental and most gun deaths are intentional, so
>they're not equivalent either.

They're not equivalent. But in both those cases, there is a victim who
didn't want to die. If someone is thinking about their various risks of
unfortunate demise, it can make sense to list all of auto accidents,
homicide, and cancer as risks, despite their quite different origin.

Suicide is fundamentally different, in that its result is intended by
the individual who commits it. It is a choice one makes for oneself. It
is not something done to one by someone else, intentionally or by
accident. It is a choice, not a risk. In some cases, we presume to know
better than the individual so choosing. When driven by teenage angst,
that presumption seems clearly right to me. But many suicides are mature
indviduals, often acting rationally in response to untenable circumstance.
A pistol sometimes is the solution to untreatable disease, rather than a
risk like to it. I have yet to hear a cogent argument why that should be
viewed as a problem. To treat ALL suicides as if they were something that
should have been stopped is more than presumptious. It is stupid, and in
my view, fundamentally unethical. So yes, it bothers me to see it treated
as if it were, by definition, a problem to be solved. Cancer is a problem
to solve. Stroke is a problem to solve. Someone who ends their life
before those diseases do so is simply taking the best of the poor
solutions that now exist.

Or to put it simply, the fact that a pistol is an effective means of
suicide is a feature, not a bug.