[FoRK] how do you sell a used gun?

Corinna Schultz <corinna.schultz at gmail.com> on Tue Sep 4 12:40:30 PDT 2007

On 9/4/07, Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> wrote:

> *sigh*.  Major pet peeve here.  I've bought a number of guns through
> pawn shops.  Pawn shops that sell guns are gun dealers.  They operate
> under exactly the same laws.  I've personally watched them turn away
> straw purchasers (it was very common in Nevada to have people cross
> the mountains from CA and have other people try and buy guns on their
> behalf).  The forms are identical, and the background check is
> identical.  If I'm a criminal, it is EXACTLY as hard to buy a gun
> from a pawn shop as it is from a "dealer".

I suppose that makes sense, since a pawn shop is a commercial outlet.
I was thinking more that you could get a gun more cheaply from a pawn
shop than you could from a gun store.

Also, the background check will only show if you have a record, right?
So if you're an uncaught criminal, or if you know somebody with a
clean record, you won't have any trouble. How do they know if you're
buying a gun for someone else anyway?

My comments actually say more about my impression of the culture in
south texas than about the seediness (or not) of guns or pawn shops.
"Texas... it's like a whole 'nother country."

> Obviously classified ads are different, but in my experience every
> gun for sale in the classified was either a large shotgun for bird
> shooting or a bolt action hunting rifle.  Not exactly a hot bed of
> criminal activity.

I was kind of thinking "If I were a gang member and wanted to buy a
gun for the new guy, and didn't want to pay full price, how would I do
it"  :)   Perhaps I don't have sufficient imagination, or I've been
sheltered all my life...