[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Wed Sep 5 13:48:57 PDT 2007

On Sep 5, 2007, at 11:35 AM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Ian, I appreciate and even agree with a lot of your specific
> complaints about the US, but the universal anti-Americanism is
> neither warranted (hey, a lot of us detest the folks in D.C., too!)
> nor even factually substantiated.
>
> Take, for example, the recent implication that Canada's gun
> controls generate positive results.  Let's list a few facts:
>
>   * Canada's overall crime rate is actually 50% higher than the US
>   * Toronto's violent crime rate is higher than New York City's
>   * 30 US states are safer than any Canadian province
>   * The Canadian

Postus interruptus;  I thought I saved that to draft, apparently I
sent it.

Anyway, it was clear where all that was going.

All I know for sure is this:  I never wanted to own a gun.  One of my
high school girlfriend's brothers was killed in a "playing with guns"
accident years ago, and afterwards - despite having grown up w/ guns
in the house, though not often seen or talked about - I never felt
like I wanted one in my household.  That all changed last year,
thanks to my stalker incident;  and now I've got a fun new hobby.  I
probably have spent on average one to two hours a week at the gun
range over the last year, I own several distinctly different guns,
and --- I'm a damn good shot, thank you very much! ;-) :-)

Actually being faced with that element of society which is dangerous
and unreasonable can certainly change your perspective on such things
as arming yourself.

$0.02, YMMV,

jb