[FoRK] Phone vs. VoIP (was: The Mac Nano lives!!!)

Russell Turpin <deafbox at hotmail.com> on Wed Sep 5 21:41:03 PDT 2007

I'm in WiFi range a large fraction of time. BUT... a surprising number of
my phone calls are made or received when I'm not.

There is 0% of the time that I want to get data over a cell phone network.

It does seem desirable, from a consumer perspective, for Nokia and other
phone providers to come out with something like the N800 with a phone chip,
that works as a Skype phone the majority of the time it can connect by
wifi, and a cell phone when it cannot. That that hasn't yet happened makes
me suspicious that that is partly a result of the network companies
pressuring the cell phone companies. None of the cell companies would
sell something like an N800 with a phone chip, unless they could lock it
up the way AT&T has the iPhone.

Fortunately, that's not a stable situation.