Skype vs. SIP, was: Re: [FoRK] The Mac Nano lives!!!

Stephen D. Williams <sdw at lig.net> on Thu Sep 6 09:42:23 PDT 2007

Open source Skype, with colocated oskype-Sip gateways.
That's what I want.  I'd work on it, but it's just plumbing.

P2p, hyper-resilient, encrypted, flexible, non-centralized!!!, etc.
Sip's fine from my phone to my local Asterix PBX and it's fine to/from a
landline/cell interconnect provider, but I don't think it competes well
with Skype for full-coverage, best use of bandwidth for the Entire
Internet.  Centralization, especially of something like phone/video/file
transfer is a bad idea and generally requires a significant income
stream (phone companies, Microsoft, Google ads, etc.).

sdw