[FoRK] Thinking of taking an iPhone on an international trip?

Bill Humphries <bill at whump.com> on Wed Sep 12 10:35:15 PDT 2007

I just returned from two weeks in Japan.

Cynthia and I popped out the SIMs from our iPhone's (just to be
sure™) and used ours as cameras and WiFi devices.

We had phones through All Nippon Airways. They provide free phone
rental (just pay for minutes.)

In both our hotels: the posh Pan Pacific in Yokohama, and the small,
funky, but endearing Oak in Ueno had wired high speed connections so
I set up my Mac Book Pro to share the connection so that Cynthia
could check her email, feeds, and Live Journal from her iPhone.

The World Science Fiction Convention had a WiFi connection, so we
could leave our Macs in our room.

In the field, there were fewer open WiFi networks than I had been
expecting.

NTT has subscription WiFi in JR East and Tokyo Metro stations, but
our trip was too short to investigate that service.

We would had been charged per 128 bit packet if we used our mobiles
for email or iMode browsing, so we stuck to looking out the windows
on the trains instead of staring at our ketais like everyone else.

The iPhone needs a hole for attaching ketai charms though.