[FoRK] Thinking of taking an iPhone on an international trip?

Peter Bergstrom <pbergstr at quadfusion.net> on Wed Sep 12 11:50:51 PDT 2007

I also just returned from a 2 week trip to Europe. I went to Denmark,
France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Sweden, in that order.

As Bill and Cynthia did, I popped out my SIM card and used it as a
WiFi only device. All places I stayed at had WiFi at the hotel or
other places around town. For example, in Amsterdam, I was able to
walk around and find open WiFi access points quite easily.

The thing that I found most useful besides email was Google Maps. I
was able to bookmark locations that I wanted to see during the day
and then browse the maps when I wasn't connected to a network using
the iPhone's cache. When I was connected, I browsed the areas that I
was going to visit in the maps application so that I could access it
while offline. As a navigation device, it was superb. I did have some
paper maps with me, but the ability to zoom in and out dynamically on
the iPhone was incredibly useful for me.

- Peter