[FoRK] Thinking of taking an iPhone on an international trip?

rst at ai.mit.edu <rst at ai.mit.edu> on Thu Sep 13 10:37:28 PDT 2007

Sat N writes:
 > Even if it is just to brag internationally about iPhone, even if you
 > just want to listen to the music on a long international flight, its
 > going to cost you.

Ummmm... folks are aware that there is now a software unlock
for the iPhone available, yes?  (They're still working on the
packaging, so if you want a quick, seamless experience, wait a
week; if not, google for "iphone dev wiki").

I'm still waiting for the OpenMoko myself --- double the screen
resolution, and a manufacturer that is not overtly hostile to
developers of native apps.  That said, it's really impressive how
brief Apple's effective lock on the iPhone's native code has lasted.
I'm completely not sure what the motive was (though it's... suggestive
how well the official "do it as a webapp" line dovetails with the
data-traffic kickbacks that they will be getting from at least the
official European telecom providers), but if wanting to control the
user experience was part of it, they would have done better to
publish the APIs, and put up a public directory open to any app
which met a moderately stringent set of UI guidelines...

rst