[FoRK] Re: Okay, I've had it! (Daily Rant vol. N, large N)

Matt Jensen <mattj at newsblip.com> on Thu Sep 13 12:27:10 PDT 2007

Quoting Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org>:

> Put differently:  through the lens of history, it's clear.  People
> wanted an operating system, not a revolution.

Don't "people" want applications, rather than an operating system?
That's what RMS built first; you seem to be saying he goofed off for
the next 15 years.  If he did, I think he earned it for kicking off a
movement in the first five years.

Maybe what really flipped your rant bit was that his list of "four
essential freedoms" was zero-based.

If you want to rant on someone's incompetency, take a good look at the
interviewer's questions. Stallman politely corrects him:

---
Moon: Back then [in 1983, was it] already clear that software was
becoming proprietary?

Stallman: In 1983, all operating systems were proprietary, non-free software.
---
Moon: People used to call Linux a synonym for GNU, much like Windows
became a synonym for the PC operating system. ...

Stallman: I'm not sure what you mean by "the same." Windows is the
official name (not just a synonym) for a user-subjugating, proprietary
operating system developed by Microsoft.
---
(p.s. - "Recorder flutes" is redundant.  A recorder is a fipple flute.)

Matt Jensen
http://mattjensen.com
Seattle