[FoRK] Thinking of taking an iPhone on an international trip?

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Thu Sep 13 13:41:52 PDT 2007

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 01:37:28PM -0400, rst at ai.mit.edu wrote:

> Ummmm... folks are aware that there is now a software unlock
> for the iPhone available, yes?  (They're still working on the

Until the next firmware update? Life is too short to play
cat and mouse with an unwilling vendor. Things are sufficiently
challenging as is.

> packaging, so if you want a quick, seamless experience, wait a
> week; if not, google for "iphone dev wiki").

The iPhone is a dead dog. I'm going to buy one for my wife, once
the smoke clears. But I'm certainly not going to buy one for
myself.

> I'm still waiting for the OpenMoko myself --- double the screen

Right. Though lack of a good navigation app will be a hassle.

> resolution, and a manufacturer that is not overtly hostile to
> developers of native apps.  That said, it's really impressive how
> brief Apple's effective lock on the iPhone's native code has lasted.
> I'm completely not sure what the motive was (though it's... suggestive
> how well the official "do it as a webapp" line dovetails with the
> data-traffic kickbacks that they will be getting from at least the
> official European telecom providers), but if wanting to control the
> user experience was part of it, they would have done better to
> publish the APIs, and put up a public directory open to any app
> which met a moderately stringent set of UI guidelines...

Apple is not completely hostile to open source (otherwise, I'd steer
clear of their hardware) but they're not exactly exhuberant about it,
either.

Life's too short, &c.