[FoRK] Thinking of taking an iPhone on an international trip?

rst at ai.mit.edu <rst at ai.mit.edu> on Thu Sep 13 14:13:13 PDT 2007

Eugen Leitl writes:
 > > I'm still waiting for the OpenMoko myself --- double the screen
 > > resolution, and a manufacturer that is not overtly hostile to
 > > developers of native apps.
 >
 > Apple is not completely hostile to open source (otherwise, I'd steer
 > clear of their hardware) but they're not exactly exhuberant about it,
 > either.

Apple is not completely hostile to open source *on Macs*.  For the
iPhone, however, their announced policy (last I checked) is that they
don't want *any* third-party code *at all* running on the phone
itself; the official policy is that third-party developers should
restrict themselves to webapps that display in Safari, and be happy
about it.

See, e.g., http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/11iphone.html

rst