[FoRK] Re: Okay, I've had it! (Daily Rant vol. N, large N)

Adam L Beberg <beberg at mithral.com> on Thu Sep 13 14:20:27 PDT 2007

Matt Jensen wrote on 9/13/2007 12:27 PM:
> Quoting Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org>:
>
>> Put differently:  through the lens of history, it's clear.  People
>> wanted an operating system, not a revolution.
>
> Don't "people" want applications, rather than an operating system?

Bingo. That's why none of this matters at all anymore. This is about the
source, and noone cares, not users, not companies, not me, not you. All
source licenses are for the most part incompatible, so there is no point
using other peoples code.

Linux, Apache, MS Offices, are all applications. Some don't cost money
and get downloaded, some cost money and get pirated. Either way noone is
going to pay you, or care about a license. Those days are gone.

Either public domain your source, or noone will use it. Problem is noone
would really use it anyway, they will write their own due to ego, or
build on top of your... application. And even then, they will only use
it to make money for themselves, shocking isn't it.

But it sure is fun to watch the GNU fighting isn't it. They don't even
know that they stopped being relevant to anything. GPL 3 is about
patents, patents haven't mattered for a damn thing since someone let
China onto the Internet. It must infuriate the GNU hippies that Linux
and other software is used for free by huge corporations every day to
make money.

Basically, the hippies don't matter because the thing they rally against
(money and laws) stopped mattering. The world is downloadable, for free,
anytime, anywhere. Ask someone under 25 if they have ever paid for
software/music/movies, you know the answer. But that's OK, WalMart and
Starbucks have jobs for them.

--
Adam L. Beberg
http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/