[FoRK] Re: Okay, I've had it! (Daily Rant vol. N, large N)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Fri Sep 14 07:56:06 PDT 2007

> Stallman was way more than a "moving force".  He had some key insights
> and was able to get some major things built, organized, and held
> together long enough to get traction.  None of this would have happened
> without gcc for instance.  Emacs was a major contributor, although in
> the age of Eclipse most people wouldn't know that.  Duplicating all the
> key utilities of Unix in a sane way, including Bison/Flex, was really
> key.  Before GNU, even cpio wasn't portable.  I was just reminded of
> that when I was trying to cpio some data to an up-to-date Cray X1E: it
> is Irix based and has the old broken cpio that cannot interoperate with
> other byte orders, etc.
>
> Stallman's rhetoric needs lots and lots of polishing, interpreting, and
> something close to compromise.  He has however been mostly right about
> GPL issues up to now.  His points are all pretty valid.  He is certainly
> a purist, which is good for all of us, but you can't only drink from
> that well in the real world.  The "Open Source" offshoot from "Free
> Software" has been healthy and good for participation, even if messy.
>
> Still, Stallman usually has a point.  I'll have to go parse everything
> to see if he's really senile this time.  I doubt it.

  +1 sdw

  I read the rms interview, and, *as usual,* not a single thing
  has changed in his message.

  And, *as usual,* this infuriates people, who don't share the
  values, and recite, "Don't talk to ME about values;  This is
  only about the best tool for the job."  (And they deserve to
  be heard, because they have enormous, though not total,
  responsibility, for the success of Linux and the Open Source
  / Free Software movement.)

  If anything has changed, it must be us.

  Has anything changed?  I remember people getting mad
  whenever rms spoke in the past, as well.

  It's like:  "Kuro5hin is dying."