[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Ian Andrew Bell <hello at ianbell.com> on Sat Sep 15 11:50:28 PDT 2007

I'm not anti-American.  My very best friend is an American (albeit,
living in Brussels).  I lived there for a tumultuous four years.

What I am attempting to alert readers to is the accelerating decline
of American (and American-style) civilization, the blame for which
can be laid largely at the feet of America's wealthy and greedy.  The
very notion of the nation-state as a functioning Democracy was formed
in America when the people revolted against the arrogance of the
diffident rich by the disaffected poor.  America has perverted the
term and used it as justification for Imperialism, while abandoning
the fundamental tenets of what it actually means at home.  That
people In America can sit at home and watch this hypocrisy on
television and do and say nothing is baffling to me.

And this time, 230 years later, as the country is driven deeper into
decline by an inept, self-serving bourgeoisie, where is the revolution?

I'll answer that, myself, with an observation:  In revolution,
rebellion, jihad and revolt alike it is the critical mass of the poor
who become the unstoppable force against which wealth serves as no
meaningful protection.  But if you look through the course of history
it is the intellectuals, who come from the middle (usually upper-
middle) class, who stir the poor into action.  They have the luxury
of perspective, education, and idle time that is necessary to
organize and compel others to action -- whereas the poor
traditionally have not, as the daily struggle for survival occupies
their thoughts.

I suspect that the difference between now and the 1770s is the
advanced state of the consumer goods cycle and entertainment
industries.  It's created a system that has lulled even the wealthy,
salty intellectuals into a form of slavery, occupying our time and
trapping us all in a cycle of acquiring more, more, and more.  And
that system is being exploited by the likes of Bush, Rove, et al.

Sure:  I'm mad at you, America, because you're taking the rest of us
with you into the cesspool.  Like Emperor Nero, you fiddle while Rome
burns.  Or maybe you're busy watching "Rome" on HBO.

Revolution can take many (including non-violent) forms.  The members
of this list, and folks who read my blog, are exactly the sort of
people who could tickle the masses into action to affect positive
social change.  Forgive me trying to alert them to what I think is
the problem, and trying to influence them to action.

That is the basis for my rhetoric.

-Ian.