[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Sat Sep 15 12:41:09 PDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 12:06:05PM -0700, Tom Higgins wrote:

> If you think it sucks from the outside, lordy you have to come back for a
> month or so in some suburban setting to really get that last-days-of-rome
> feeling. The institutionalized slothness, the fatal  hubris of being  once
> but now being less, the self deception and interpersonal co dependencies we
> have all but mandated.

When I ran from my SoCal H1b, the smell of .bomb was in the air.
I shouldn't have come back to Germany, though. That one was a mistake.
Should have moved on to Switzerland, or Scandinavia.

> We are a nation that a few decades ago was looking towards the stars but who
> are now firmly affixed on our own national snuff film.

It's hard to pin down when the decline has started, but it probably
was around 1970s. But the last decade or so was awful. I'm glad
I'm looking on from the outside.

> Its not all bad though, the next generation should be real and truly pissed
> off enough to either do something about it or tear the whole shit house up
> in some great booming bash.

The shithouse is now unfortunately global. Parts of the EU are profoundly
fucked, and only lagging the US by months/years. At least you've got better
demographics, though it's only Jesus freaks/swamp monkeys breeding.