[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sat Sep 15 20:33:25 PDT 2007

On Sep 15, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Ian Andrew Bell wrote:

> I'm not anti-American.  My very best friend is an American (albeit,
> living in Brussels).  I lived there for a tumultuous four years.
>
> What I am attempting to alert readers to is the accelerating
> decline of American (and American-style) civilization, the blame
> for which can be laid largely at the feet of America's wealthy and
> greedy.

No Ian, I'm going to call shenanigans on you here.  The "wealthy and
the greedy" aren't popping caps in each uda's ass every other day,
for the most part, apropos your little pot shot at guns.

Look, you're right that we have a problem.  Almost every other part
of your thesis is wrong or incoherent, though.

Those who have achieved wealth, and those who want things, are always
too-easy scapegoats.  You need to dig deeper than that, though.

If I had the answer, I'd be busy fixing things.  But I don't, and you
don't, and I'm not sure that anybody's even formulated the problem
clearly enough to really address.  America's sick --- and we can't
even identify the disease that's killing us.  It's more like a
syndrome, a collection of co-factors and related, cascading and self-
reinforcing failures.

And don't think Canada --- or any country, for that matter --- is
long-term immune.

And while we're at it, get over being "mad" at America.  If anybody's
got a right to be "mad" at America --- it's Americans, dammit!
Snooty Canadians committing category error don't do anything to
*help* the situation. ;-)

jb