[FoRK] Re: Okay, I've had it! (Daily Rant vol. N, large N)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Sat Sep 15 20:45:21 PDT 2007

On Sep 15, 2007, at 12:30 PM, Jeff Bone wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2007, at 4:20 PM, Adam L Beberg wrote:
>
>> Matt Jensen wrote on 9/13/2007 12:27 PM:
>>> Don't "people" want applications, rather than an operating system?
>>
>> Bingo. That's why none of this matters at all anymore.
>
> UNIX is an application as much as an operating system.  It's an IDE.

It's also:

   - a data-wrangling, and particularly text-wrangling, application
   - a communications meta-application
   - an automation application

Many others besides;  I thought I should preemptively deflect the
obvious argument that the only people that use IDEs are programmers,
by pointing out that for long stretches during the development of
UNIX (and its successors) there have been key non-programmer
contingencies for whom UNIX has been, by design, a targeted "workbench."

$0.02,

jb