[FoRK] H264 ripping

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Sun Sep 16 13:06:18 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 01:37:07PM -0600, Ron Nelson wrote:

> In my experience Handbrake works with all the normally encrypted disks
> but can't deal with the tougher stuff from Lionsgate, Sony etc... With
> those tough disks I use MacTheRipper first and then Handbrake. As for

Thanks. I've been pointed towards those tools, and have just ripped
my first DVD to disk with MacTheRipper in some 20 min.

> encoding, I see around 20fps for h264 on my 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo.

Good. I'm getting some 7 fps with Bedlam parameters on my current
1.25 GHz G4 I'm testing this with, but it's probably not representative,
since being A Scanner Darkly. What kind of parameters do you FoRKs
use with H.264, assuming you don't want to see a difference to the
original DVD in 99% of cases?

I was thinking about the following setup for the living room:

24" 1920x1200 (Dell) display, later a Full HD video projector
4x HDMI switch, and DVI-HDMI cables
Mac Mini with 120 GBytes, on all the time
TByte drive (backed up to a TByte array weekly, or so)
Logitech surround sound system.