[FoRK] H264 ripping

R Olson <rolson at gmail.com> on Mon Sep 17 08:58:22 PDT 2007

On Sep 16, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 01:37:07PM -0600, Ron Nelson wrote:
>
>> I see around 20fps for h264 on my 2.16Ghz Core 2 Duo.
>
> Good. I'm getting some 7 fps with Bedlam parameters on my current
> 1.25 GHz G4 I'm testing this with, but it's probably not
> representative,
> since being A Scanner Darkly.

I've been using the iPhone setting in Handbrake on my 1.66 GHz mini
with the stock 512MB. I've been reasonably happy with the quality,
though I'm not an AVophile of an caliber. With this set up I'm
getting 32+ fps on the encoding side.

> I was thinking about the following setup for the living room:
>
> 24" 1920x1200 (Dell) display, later a Full HD video projector
> 4x HDMI switch, and DVI-HDMI cables
> Mac Mini with 120 GBytes, on all the time
> TByte drive (backed up to a TByte array weekly, or so)
> Logitech surround sound system.

Why the HDMI switch? I'd look to a display with 2 HDMI inputs, which
would handle the Mac mini and what ever other HD content you're
getting. Do you really plan on having that many HD sources?

In terms of the display, make sure it's sized right for the distance
you'll be watching at. If you've got room enough for a projector,
then you've got a room much too big for quality viewing on a 24"
widescreen display. I'd suggest a 30" to 32" minimum.

I've got:
- 27" wide LCD display, 10ft from the chairs
- Mac Mini with 300 GB external drive in matching case with a
temperature-sensitive fan to keep the noise down. (I never store
anything other than Video and Audio media on the drive because it's
on all the time and a potential target for unauthorized network
access. Therefore I don't backup the drive.)
- TiVo and a couple of older game consoles. (Wii some day)
- Some inherited custom speakers on a low end Sony amp.

Good enough for my apartment. I've been looking at a Harmony Remote,
but Logitech's line up is so cluttered that I can never make a
decision on which one to get.

...Ross...