[FoRK] Rationality and English, Human Evil and Muddled Thinking

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Mon Sep 17 11:58:37 PDT 2007

>   By my memories of the way Eliezer talks, I doubt that he would speak
>   with such humility.

You got that one right!

With age he's mellowed some in his presentation, but I imagine that's
more a response to being beat down so hard so many times over his (at
least previous, occasional) insufferable sanctimoniousness.  I.e.,
perhaps more in the interest of persuasiveness (in furtherance of his
goals) than wisdom per se.  Shrug.  While I seriously doubt he's
going to light the Singularity, I think in the balance he's been more
of a force of good (raising awareness, probably about all he'll
accomplish but significant nonetheless) than otherwise, and with age
is becoming less of an embarrassment.

> I mean, he has the whole, entire, revolutionary **force**
>   of "rationality" on his side.  That means that there's one right way
> of living,
>   and everything else is simply ignorant error.

Or, as he calls it these days, "The Way."  (Guffaw!  Humility indeed...)

>   Have you ever looked at ye olde Technocracy documents, and laughed?

"Algernon."  Mmm-hmmm.  "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen..."

;-)

jb

PS - all I can say is that I'm glad that *most* of my own
excruciating juvenalia was scribbed in notebooks rather than on the
Web.  (There are probably some old USENET posts stashed in some
archives that I regret, but...)  As-is, there's plenty of my own
embarrassing stuff out there from across the years;  I can't imagine
how Eli copes.