[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Jeff Bone <jbone at place.org> on Mon Sep 17 12:31:48 PDT 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 1:45 PM, Lion Kimbro wrote:

>   Sympathizing with Ian, (wealth distribution IS a problem,
>   in my book,)

I agree, but OTOH any non-consensual forms of wealth RE-distribution
are MUCH bigger problems...

But let's kill one bad meme in its tracks:  greed is a *positive*
force, not a negative one, in the sense that self-interest in
individuals it is a constructive urge.  It's important to distinguish
that constructive urge (wanting something --- money, chicks, a giant
CPU farm, world peace, whatever) from the destructive urge of *not
wanting somebody else to have something.*  We loosely use the term
"greed" to mean both things;  in fact, they are distinct.

jb