[FoRK] Rationality and English, Human Evil and Muddled Thinking

Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> on Mon Sep 17 12:53:05 PDT 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 01:58:37PM -0500, Jeff Bone wrote:

> With age he's mellowed some in his presentation, but I imagine that's

Age is no excuse. I was never that young.

> more a response to being beat down so hard so many times over his (at
> least previous, occasional) insufferable sanctimoniousness.  I.e.,

Occasional?

> perhaps more in the interest of persuasiveness (in furtherance of his
> goals) than wisdom per se.  Shrug.  While I seriously doubt he's
> going to light the Singularity, I think in the balance he's been more

Cough, splutter. Come on baby, light my fire.

> of a force of good (raising awareness, probably about all he'll

Awareness, for what exactly? The idea that lacking the Big Daddy,
we must build one, orelse surely perish? There's a great potential
for a synthetic cult, if there isn't one already.

> accomplish but significant nonetheless) than otherwise, and with age
> is becoming less of an embarrassment.

He certainly seems to fake normality better.

> Or, as he calls it these days, "The Way."  (Guffaw!  Humility indeed...)

Right. So why give that hilarity free press?