[FoRK] Rationality and English, Human Evil and Muddled Thinking

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Mon Sep 17 13:09:11 PDT 2007

> While I seriously doubt he's
> going to light the Singularity, I think in the balance he's been more
> of a force of good (raising awareness, probably about all he'll
> accomplish but significant nonetheless) than otherwise, and with age
> is becoming less of an embarrassment.

  Agreed.  :)

> Or, as he calls it these days, "The Way."  (Guffaw!  Humility indeed...)

  (I needed to see this first hand, so I googled, and found:
    http://yudkowsky.net/virtues/ )

  I don't know if this is what you intended or not, but, here is what I see
  now, after reading that page-- that this is a sign that my picture of
  Eliezer as a completely head-strong youth needs changing.

    "...If you swallow enough sciences the gaps
    between them will diminish and your knowledge will become a
    unified whole.  If you are gluttonous you will become vaster
    than mountains.  It is especially important to eat math and
    science which impinges upon rationality:  Evolutionary
    psychology, heuristics and biases, social psychology,
    probability theory, decision theory.  But these cannot be the
    only fields you study.  The Art must have a purpose other than
    itself, or it collapses into infinite recursion."

  In Evolutionary Spirituality, (whatever *that* is,) we say that:
  * Facts are the Tongue of God,
  and:
  * Scientists have executed (and are executing) the deepest, most
    sustained meditation into Truth, the nature of Reality.

  Homage to "The Way" as something beyond individual expression,
  or total understanding, is a recognition of something larger than
  yourself, and your total control.  That wasn't something my imagined
  simulation of Eliezer would be capable of.

  If he claims *mastery* of the Way, then I have to go back to thinking
  he's an idiot again.  But that he can at least see such a thing, and
  talk about it-- that means I need to update my picture of him.

  He's may still be an arrogant prick, but at least he doesn't consider
  himself Master of the Universe.