[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Mon Sep 17 15:29:41 PDT 2007

On Sep 17, 2007, at 1:55 PM, Lion Kimbro wrote:
>   For example, I can't imagine anyone picking up the
>   menu, and ordering the kind of society we have right
>   now, off of the alternatives.  ("Are there alternatives?")

I'll go out on a limb, and say that the current western society is
the best society that has yet been created on earth:
-It's the most equalitarian.  At no point in time have the people at
the "bottom" of the ladder been as free to climb toward the top.

-It's the least racist.  It's easy to point to how it could be _less_
racist, but I think it's far harder to point to any point in the past
when society has been more accepting of diversity.

-It encourages and nurtures a vast number of status hierarchies.
Humans are status oriented, and are happiest when they have the
opportunity to achieve success and receive respect from their fellow
man.  It's impossible to build a single hierarchy encompassing
millions that doesn't end up with lots of people on the bottom.  It
is possible to build a society where the local 711 clerk is a WoW god.

I could go on, but I should be trying to get some work done...