[FoRK] Rohit's "Syn" comes back to haunt him (SynOA)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Tue Sep 18 03:17:08 PDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Lucas Gonze <lucas.gonze at gmail.com> wrote:
> So what is this syndication oriented architecture?  What sort of
> systems does it entail?

  My guess:

  Instead of passing messages between components as in a
  service oriented architecture, ...

  ...have the components subscribe to one another, pinging them
  for updates via RSS / Atom / what have you?

  Positives, I imagine:
  * no need for changing component to maintain subscribers list
    - no need to keep track of who-you-told-what (no per-subscriber state)
    - no hassle with keep-alives, or figuring out "who died?"
  * changing component needs only create a log of activities
  * easy to subscribe -- just start polling changes
  * easy to unsubscribe -- just STOP
  * simple aggregators
    - no finagling subscriptions,
    - just pull from multiple sources, on demand, combine, republish
    - caching aggregators replace data buses
  * more accurate data regarding "who's watching me?"
    - because they have to check you, every so often

  Negatives, I imagine:
  * poll traffic
    - you get called, whether anything happened or not
  * overlogging
    - if you generate a lot of information that others **might** need,
     you have to log ALL of it -- no telling when somethings going to
     come, and start begging for the data