[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed Sep 19 11:38:26 PDT 2007

  Although, on deeper study of the word "greed,"
  I don't see something that's so much about...
  * the constructive urge of wanting something, or...
  * the destructive urge of wanting others to not have something, ...
  but rather:

  * the destructive urge of wanting to have something,
    in excess of "need" or "want," in excess of health,
    either for myself, or for others.

  It is something that works to throw life out of whack, on
  either a large or small scale.  (My daughter can say,
  "Don't be greedy, you're hogging all the popcorn.
   Let us have some, too.")

  "Restraint" is a virtue that can counter greed.

  Put into Aristotle's language:
  The golden mean is a path between two virtues.
  Vice is a virtue taken to excess.