[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Lion Kimbro <lionkimbro at gmail.com> on Wed Sep 19 11:49:59 PDT 2007

On 9/17/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good points. Another point to rememeber is no how much linguistically
> gymnastics you throw at  the problem all societies and civilizations
> eventually crumble, some with less damage than other some with way more of a
> residual nastiness... but they all go bye bye.
>
> Just as trends seem to be moving in and out with an ever closing cycle so
> too maybe societies will do the same spin spin orbit orbit .
>
> point to point point observation....

  I have two responses to this.

  1.  Cycles (sine, cosine) do not describe either my own emotional walks,
    my own life, or (I venture) the motions of societies.

  MeatballWiki ( http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl ) has tried many
  times to document the "Lifecycle of a wiki."
  ( http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?WikiLifeCycle )

  It hasn't really worked.  It's because there is no predictable life-cycle
  to wikis.  There are just identifiable patterns.

  I see no smooth clock describing ebbs and flows in history.

  Which leads to my next point:

  2.  Systems that are so complex that they can't be predicted,
    can be said to make "choices," when they stabilize on something.

  I think that we have a choice here.