[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> on Wed Sep 19 15:14:08 PDT 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Lion Kimbro wrote:
>   * the destructive urge of wanting to have something,
>     in excess of "need" or "want," in excess of health,
>     either for myself, or for others.

On a global scale, the deep question is do we live in a world of
scarcity or a world of plenty.  In a world of scarcity, taking more
than your "fair share" is directly hurting other people, and the
reason people are worse off than you.  In a world of plenty, the fact
that other people are worse off than you has nothing to do with your
consumption- they are worse off because somebody is hurting stealing
stuff from them, or they're lazy, or they have bad luck, or for some
other reason they are unable to grab a hold of the plenty available
to them.  Regardless, altering your consumption will have no effect
on them.

I think "World of Plenty" is a much better description of our world
today than "World of Scarcity".