[FoRK] Re: An armed society... (freakin' Canada.)

zuzu <sean.zuzu at gmail.com> on Wed Sep 19 20:05:39 PDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Tom Higgins <tomhiggins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Kevin Elliott <k-elliott at wiu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > I think "World of Plenty" is a much better description of our world
> > today than "World of Scarcity".
>

> It is an amazing thought to ponder that a few hundred years ago most of us
> would be serfs sucking up to the local masa and bowing knee to god and king
> while only a percentage of the populace got educated.
>
> Oh wait..isnt that now as well?
>
> I keed I keed, well almost.
>
> It is a Land Of Plenty when a good chunk of one nation's kids (I speak of
> the US since thats the one I know best) are given the opportunity to an
> education many would have killed for 100 years ago but instead opt to "ya
> know just hang and stuff, don't be such a downer about homework and stuff"
>
> We have passed Plenty here and are well into the Land Of Squanderous Plenty
>
> -tom

There's something to be said here regarding the transition from
Industrial Economy to Knowledge Economy...  for some time in the
"modern" parts of the world the question has shifted from making
enough shoes to inventing enough different kinds of shoes, for we all
have different feet (and SCUBA divers need fins not trainers).  Chris
Anderson can chime in here anytime.

At the same time all those Bretton Woods organizations such as the WTO
and World Bank, along with the OECD, et. al., do a damn fine job
regulating international trade and undermining national economic
policies to keep poor regions poor and rich regions relatively rich
(but still poorer than if trade were truly Free).  And then there are
all those corporate welfare subsidies such as Agribusiness -- yeah,
because underwriting corn in the USA is better than buying from people
who pretty much only have the resources to do primary industries, such
as Africa or even parts of S. America -- or Oil through war and
hegemony.

So excuse me while I play the world's smallest violin if "global glut"
and "affluenza" is the new "white man's burden".